Podcasting a Science Project: Time Machine!

One of the most useful pieces of advice to learn a foreign language consists of surrounding yourself with its outputs. Thus, podcasts are great tools to reinforce listening skills. Since 2005, more than 700,000 podcasts have been created, with over 30 million episodes! Nowadays, there are 2,000,000 podcasts out there. I know, it's astonishing! 

If you ever meet me, I will definitely arrive with my headphones on. I love listening to podcast since I started listening to them as a way to improve my listening skills - I used to listen Australian News or EFL podcasts such as Culips ESL Podcast or Ted Talks Daily. There are a wide variety when it comes to podcasting. I also listen to Oposiciones de EducaciΓ³n to motivate me to the public examination. 

I listen all these podcast from Spotify. However, there are multiple platforms such as Ivoox, SoundCloud or Spraker. I also want to share with you this article in which several platforms are detailed.

Welcome to Pateacher Corner Podcast! πŸŽ™️ 

Thus, teachers should take notes for these platforms and develop them inside the classroom. Consequently, I am hosting a new podcast "Pateacher corner". This podcast will introduce my students a new project: Creating a Time Machine inside our Museum. 
Notwithstanding, before detailing my project, I would like to explain you the process of creating my podcast.
I tried to post my podcast on Spotify, but it was impossible for me. Thus, I tried SoundCloud since it is a platform I used to listen to music a few years ago. However, I've realised Soundcloud offers more than that! 

Discovering SoundCloud

Like all the previous platforms, SoundCloud distributes audios and allows its users to keep records in the cloud, upload audios, promote them and share them. Additionally, these tracks can be tagged, categorized, shared on social networks and organized into playlists. It is a useful tool to loo for specific podcasts or contents.
One of its greatest tools is related to groups' creation. Therefore, we can organise work teams with our students in our classroom, so that they can broadcast their own tracks!  Consequently, launching a classroom radio would be a fantastic idea. Thus, digital space is created by adding audios and playlists - just embedding the code is enough.
By using this platform to host my podcast, there are several advantages:
πŸ‘ Its style makes its functioning very easy. From the very beginning, you can register and start uploading tracks. 
πŸ‘It is a free platform, so just a recorder -like your mobile phone- is needed (and a bit of time too hahaha).
πŸ‘ Creating online groups enables you to interact with your students and check their progress in a different way.
πŸ‘ These groups also enable users to establish a great community inside the platform.

However, there are some disadvantages that I would like to highlight as well.
πŸ‘Ž The platform is not 100% free. That free version offers just three hours of audios. Besides, creating more than one group is not allowed.  As a consequence, that version is not enough for the classroom.
Nevertheless, diverse playlists can be created so the audios are organized. Unfortunately, this step would take us more time than the premium version. 
It's a pity that several schools cannot afford these premium platforms. However, there are different ways to create similar activities, but much more time is needed.
Once the platform has been analysed, you can check my audio channel clicking on the following icon:

Before specifying my own project, I would like to take a brief look at my profile.
As you may observe, the profile can be personalised by changing the header (I created mine through Canva), the user name, biography, name, and so on.

I started following several accounts, and listen to some interesting podcasts! In addition, I also enjoy music and I found great artists! 

Time Machine ⌛

Since the tool for podcasting my track has been explained, it is time to explain the specific project. As has been detailed in previous posts, organising your project is essential for success. Thus, I share with you my planning created through Google Docs.

As mentioned in the previous document, this project promotes several skills. Therefore, the information must be well-prepared, and also it must be carried in an engaging way. That is the reason why the following steps were followed.

Topic choice

It is crucial to focus on a theme related to the Primary Education curriculum. Specifically, my topic is related to simple machines (Natural Science subject). Furthermore, I wanted to link this content with Social Science since we're creating a Time Machine. 
Consequently, this Time Machine will be very useful to travel to the past and observe several machines which have changed our lives. Thus, a program regarding that journey will be carried out. Additionally, a collaborative channel will be developed since SoundCloud is being used.

Writing the podcast

Before getting to the point, it is vital to write down the script before recording your podcast. Without organising the ideas, improvisation would be a very much protagonist. If you have listened to podcasts, you will know that improvisation is not a big deal.
Thus, the sketch created with Canva -added in the previous docs- was my key to follow a structure, and not being lost in confusion and improvising all the time. I have designed the following sketch to make it more visual and attractive to me - rather than writing everything down and reading while I am recording it.
Podcast Sketch de Patricia Rubio

Recording test

Since the written part has done, we are able to record it! The first try was not successful at all... Therefore, several recordings are important to choose the greatest one. It is essential to rehearse a bit before recording it. 
I was so shy at the very beginning! However, I imagine myself in the class and my nervousness dismissed (rehearsal is the key!). 

Audios recording

I have recorded myself by my voice recorder (iPhone one) and it was brilliant! Furthermore, I have added my own jingle - I composed it with my guitar, I hope you like it. In addition, I have applied several sound effects to sound like a time machine and make the audio more attractive.
This mix was owing to Audacity, I share with you this guide just in case you want to try it out.
This platform enables its user to mix several audios, and adding some effects. Furthermore, there exist multiple resources to get free audios such as Free Music Archive, Youtube or 123apps.com. I found great sounds that you can already check up on it! πŸ‘‡

Publishing and sharing

Soundcloud has been my chosen platform, so you can already listen to the first episode: 

Furthermore, I have created the following playlist to listen to my very first audio and the ones which are to come... I am so excited about it! πŸŽ§


My full-learning experience

This activity was very engaging from the very beginning - I consider that is because I am constantly listening to podcasts, so they are nice tools (for learning and entertaining).
Children are very familiar with several platforms such as YouTube or Classroom, so podcasts are great sources to foster their listening skills. Podcasts make you focus on one thing -the audio- so your concentration is higher than a Youtube video in which several outcomes emerge at the same time.

In addition, listen them speaking in English is a great idea to make them aware of their pronunciation, since in the traditional classes there is no time for that. Besides, students can gain more confidence by speaking out loud and having multiple opportunities to do it. 
In addition, global learning can be enhanced with these activities - since pupils realise there is more content outside the classroom. These opportunities break down the wall between the class and the real classroom (I love it!). Last but not least, these activities are priceless - just a phone to record your students and a free platform to upload it, and the magic is done. 

I hope you find this post useful. Please, comments are allowed! Take care and see you pretty soon. πŸ’™

Comments

Popular Posts